Support Services

Support Services

We all need a little extra support sometimes and when you are living and studying overseas - you may need a little bit more than you normally would. We are here to help you - so don't ever be shy to let us know what you are going through and how we can help.

We offer the following in relation to support and welfare:

  • One-to-one support from the trainer/assessor.
  • Support with personal issues.
  • Access to additional learning resources.
  • Reasonable adjustment in assessment.
  • Social events.
  • Buddy program.
  • Information about external sources of support.

You may not have studied for a while, may have English as a second language or need additional assistance with literacy or numeracy. We will identify any additional support needs you may have at the time of application and enrolment and may prepare a Student Support Plan for you based on those needs.

We have a range of information we can provide you with on a variety of issues - this may be related to accommodation, legal or financial issues, cultural considerations, disability support, stress management - or maybe you are experiencing a bout of homesickness. If you are experiencing it - then we are concerned about it. Please communicate with us because we care. We don't charge for internal services, but you will be responsible for any external provider costs at the time you access the services. We can assist you to find local groups of like-minded people in the area, connect you with other students with similar interest groups or simply be a friendly listening ear when you need one.

Depending on your needs, we will provide you with a referral to the relevant local organisation and assist you to access services from them.

Some support services are listed in the 'Important information about Australia' section of your Student Handbook - but it's best to come and speak to the Administration and Student Support Officer where you can have a confidential discussion and get the right type of service / support for your need or concern.

External Support Services

The following links can provide further information about support services available to all student:

Support services at Study Melbourne Student Centre

Support services for students

Crisis support

Lifeline 13 11 14

Lifeline provide a 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention service.
If you are thinking about suicide or are experiencing a personal crisis, call Lifeline for immediate support.

Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636

Beyond Blue provide support services to those who need support and may be affected by anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts. They can be contacted by phone, online chat support or via email. Visit their site:

See a range of help lines and websites at including mental health, groups who may experience discrimination, kids helpline, Relationships Australia and Headspace.

Safe Steps Family violence response centre 1800 015 188

Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre is Victoria's state-wide response service for women, young people and children experiencing family violence. Visit their site:

Sexual Assault Crisis Line 1800 806 292

The Sexual Assault Crisis Line Victoria (SACL) is a state-wide, after-hours, confidential, telephone crisis counselling service for people who have experienced both past and recent sexual assault. Visit their site:

Welfare Authorities Contact Details

Responsible Authority Contact Address
Australian Red Cross Ph: 9345 1800
The Salvation Army Ph: 8878 4500
The Study Melbourne Student Centre Ph: 1800 056 449
Australian Red Cross Ph: 1800 825 955

Emergency contacts

Emergency Services Contact Details
Police Call 000
Ambulance Call 000
Fire Call 000
SES Victoria Call 132 500 from anywhere in Victoria for flood, storm, tsunami and earthquake emergency.
For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000).

The emergency phone number for an ambulance in Australia is '000'. (This number should only be dialled in an emergency and you require ambulance, police, or fire attendance.)

Department of Education International Education enquiries

Contact details given below supports Education Services for overseas students, general information on overseas qualification assessment (general purposes non-trade) and general information regarding international education.

Phone: 1300 615 262


International Student Legal Information

A free resource for international students living in Victoria.

The website below has different stories that are based on legal problems international students have had.



For legal issues the following service can be contacted:

Victoria Legal Aid


Phone: 1300 792 387

Student Associations

Council of International Students Australia (CISA)

The Council of International Student Australia (CISA) is the national peak student representative organisation for international students studying at the postgraduate, undergraduate, private college, TAFE, ELICOS and foundation level.

Phone: +61 426 611 201


English language Support

Please contact the team at ACVET for further information of Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support options.

Students can also contact the following service for English language support:

Reading Writing Hotline

The Reading Writing Hotline is Australia’s national telephone referral service for adult literacy and numeracy. It is funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Skills and Employment.


Phone: 1300 6555 06